Timewyrm: Exodus
Doctor and Ace arrived in the early 1950’s UK. It's not long since the war was won or was it? It maybe England but the Nazis are in control , so what happened and where is the Timewyrm?
Its such a pity that this wasn’t the first book in the series, if it had been I probably would have continued with the series when they originally came out, instead of giving up a couple of chapters into Genesis.
A nazi occupied Britain story is a bit been there done that, two a penny these days, maybe not so much in the nineties. The nice thing is that it doesn’t linger there, in fact there are 3 or 4 time periods they visit over the course of the novel.
This reflects the more adult nature of the new adventures in a much better way than book. Rather than the nudity/sexual tones, it manages it by Ace getting beaten up in order to look more convincing as a Nazi prisoner.
There are some great moments with the Doctor doing his ‘look like you own the place’, by assuming the identity of high ranking officals. Hitler isn’y a subject I care for, I’m not that keen on the Red Dwarf episode with Lister playing guitar with him. Aside from that is is interesting as we go through his life and his rise to power.
The Timewyrm component is kept to a mininum as this also bring in another alien element, and one from the past. It doesn’t quite have the same impact that maybe it did at the time. With Big Finish and the series coming back, a lot of reunions and rematches have been done. But I still felt a little unsatisfied as neither were they the main focus or used to their full potential.
Overall I enjoyed it.
Comments
Post a Comment