Hooklight Part 2
The Fifth Doctor Adventures
The story continues.. The TARDIS team have discovered Hooklight. Something that can stop time, it shouldn’t exist, and as a Timelord, the Doctor has to destroy it. Scattered through space and time, our hero’s fight on. Nyssa almost possessed by Hooklight, Adric thrown back in time, Can the Doctor find Tegan and get the crew back together?
When I saw the reviews for part 2 I noticed that it hadn’t been rated quite as highly as part 1 and I’d have to agree. Thats not to say it isn’t good, it just doesn’t quite have the same grand scale as the first half, just a bit more mundane and routine.
During the first episode you do wonder whats happened to Tegan, but then episode two is almost entirely devoted to her. Though I found it enjoyable, listenable, and it has consequences on her future, it does detract from the main plot. As mentioned in Hooklight 1 each of the TARDIS crew had a purpose, the were driven, now its less so.
I feel the need to praise Sarah Sutton, as she’s possessed by Hooklight, she plays Nyssa and the entity. So she gets a chance to shine.
You may be aware the the Eighth Doctor features as the Oracle, I think he turned up at the end of Hooklight 1. Its not a massive role, and whether his inclusion was necessary is debatable. I quite enjoyed it, and it gave some nice scenes.
Over the course of this set you do come to the conclusion that the reset button will be pressed, since the events of this set don’t tally with what we’ve seen on screen. That is what happens, but its done better than most other such instances. They don’t just forget it all and there is a certain sadness as to the experiences they’ve lost.
Anytime I watch the War Games I get to episode 9 and can’t believe how I got to that point already. I had a similar experience with this. I was on episode 11 and was amazed how fast it had gone by. Admittedly I listened to parts 1 and 2 a month apart and both times on a train journey which helped, but it didn’t drag.
I’m not sure I got the most out of it, with 12 episodes and a lot of world building, I do struggle keeping up with whose who, and what they’ve done. But I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy all the more second time round.
Comments
Post a Comment