Skip to main content


A Life Never Lived 


Timeslip vol. 3


Simon, Liz, Jade, Neil and Charlotte, enter the barrier and find themselves in early 1914, just before the start of WW1. Its not an alternative timeline, the big twist being that they encounter Flora - a suffragette, who is Liz’s great grandmother. What’s more its the day before she dies…


Its not quite what’s expected from Timeslip - not that I’m an expert. Though the first TV story was just set in the past, I think the big draw for me was seeing the alternative futures that started with the second tv story. This comes across more as an historical Doctor Who, its even only 4 30ish minute episodes. 


It is enjoyable, the lads having to work as debt collectors, finding somewhere to live etc. The stuff with Fora is interesting - being a suffragette and the challenges she’s faced. You do want Liz to tell he what the future will be like. There is some nice debates as to whether saving Flora from her death will change time and history as they know it. 


Its nice enough, but not something that stands out or will leave a lasting impression on me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Days of the Powell Estate The Ninth Doctor Adventures 4.2 The Doctor and Rose find themselves in the future, 2036 , to be exact. Though, when Rose discovers that the run down, derelict building they’ve arrived at is what left of the Powell estate , she starts to worry about her mother… It feels like quite a wait since the last episode. I’m not one for binge listening, but with Chris and Billie back together, you just want more. They meet a guy doing a video about strange places who tells the Doctor and Rose about an entity dubbed ‘ Mr Fingers ’. People feel a hand on their shoulder but when they turn round no ones there, feel it twice and you’re gone. The idea would make quite a nice horror film. It has the ingredients, the empty building, the sense of something unreal, people disappearing. The fact that once there felt the hand, if they turn around next time, they’re a goner.  The entity exists both in Roses time and the future, so we get Jackie and her friend in 2006...
 The Three Companions I had intended to listen to Sirens of Time Redux after Once and Future Coda, however as it still hadn’t been released I went for the next audio on my list The Companion Chronicles: The Three Companions. This originally came out as 10 minutes parts, tacked onto the Monthly range, in 20009/10. The three companions being Polly, the Brigadier and Thomas Brewster, and consists of three, 40 minute episodes. Polly writes to the Brig, wanting to find out about the Doctor, having read an article by Mrs Jo Jones that mentions him, and tells a story of when she knew the Doctor. The thing that got me into the Companion Chronicles was the Mahogany Murder’s, I had tried them before and hadn’t taken to the the narration style. With the Mahogany Murder’s, it was Jago and Litefoot meeting and each recounting their recent events. This takes a similar approach. Though they are writing/emailing to each other there are interjections, comments from the other, which is a little odd,...
The Lumiat                                         Missy 2.1                          Missy, up to her old tricks of stirring up the red and the black ants. Only this time its people. All going well (or bad depending on your viewpoint) until a timelady appears, it has to be the Doctor doesn’t it? Who else could it be? I listened to this twice - a couple of months apart. The first time I felt it was OK, but seeing the reviews and it having been rated quite highly, I thought perhaps I’d missed something. The Lumiat: she’s has been in a couple of other audios (Masterful and Timelord Immemorial)  - both of which I’ve heard but in the wrong order. Gina Mckee pays the Lumiat, for me always remembered for being on the Lenny Henry show. I don't really remember much about her from those audios though. With the Lumiat showing up ...