Skip to main content


The Second Doctor Adventures                                     


War of The Morai                                                                                

The Tardis crew are back at the Vanishing point, but so are the Daleks.

I didn’t write a review when I first heard this, mainly because I never really understood it. I didn’t think I could write a fair appraisal, and after another listen; it's no better.

The Vanishing point - not really sure what it is, but I never got a sense of what it was either. Other than some old buildings, I have no idea of the layout, the soundscape gives no clues. Is it a black void? A village? A spaceship? When we hear the Daleks discussing plans its assumable that’s they’re on their ship but as the Doctor and co hear them talking we know not. It isn’t clear.

As for a plot? Well the Morai have calcified themselves, which is what the building are made of and the Daleks are trying to undo that. Jamie and Raven disappear for a while, the Doctor becomes bodiless for a while, Zoe is captured by the Daleks, so she does get something decent to do.

As with the rest of this and the last set, it's a lot of nothing. There no real direction, never a sense of a plan or point to what’s going on, just going from one thing to another without any real purpose. 

I said in my review of the last episode I’m not buying the next set until I see some reviews.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Days of the Powell Estate The Ninth Doctor Adventures 4.2 The Doctor and Rose find themselves in the future, 2036 , to be exact. Though, when Rose discovers that the run down, derelict building they’ve arrived at is what left of the Powell estate , she starts to worry about her mother… It feels like quite a wait since the last episode. I’m not one for binge listening, but with Chris and Billie back together, you just want more. They meet a guy doing a video about strange places who tells the Doctor and Rose about an entity dubbed ‘ Mr Fingers ’. People feel a hand on their shoulder but when they turn round no ones there, feel it twice and you’re gone. The idea would make quite a nice horror film. It has the ingredients, the empty building, the sense of something unreal, people disappearing. The fact that once there felt the hand, if they turn around next time, they’re a goner.  The entity exists both in Roses time and the future, so we get Jackie and her friend in 2006...
 The Three Companions I had intended to listen to Sirens of Time Redux after Once and Future Coda, however as it still hadn’t been released I went for the next audio on my list The Companion Chronicles: The Three Companions. This originally came out as 10 minutes parts, tacked onto the Monthly range, in 20009/10. The three companions being Polly, the Brigadier and Thomas Brewster, and consists of three, 40 minute episodes. Polly writes to the Brig, wanting to find out about the Doctor, having read an article by Mrs Jo Jones that mentions him, and tells a story of when she knew the Doctor. The thing that got me into the Companion Chronicles was the Mahogany Murder’s, I had tried them before and hadn’t taken to the the narration style. With the Mahogany Murder’s, it was Jago and Litefoot meeting and each recounting their recent events. This takes a similar approach. Though they are writing/emailing to each other there are interjections, comments from the other, which is a little odd,...
The Lumiat                                         Missy 2.1                          Missy, up to her old tricks of stirring up the red and the black ants. Only this time its people. All going well (or bad depending on your viewpoint) until a timelady appears, it has to be the Doctor doesn’t it? Who else could it be? I listened to this twice - a couple of months apart. The first time I felt it was OK, but seeing the reviews and it having been rated quite highly, I thought perhaps I’d missed something. The Lumiat: she’s has been in a couple of other audios (Masterful and Timelord Immemorial)  - both of which I’ve heard but in the wrong order. Gina Mckee pays the Lumiat, for me always remembered for being on the Lenny Henry show. I don't really remember much about her from those audios though. With the Lumiat showing up ...