Skip to main content

The Quantum Possibility Engine                                             


Doctor Who The Monthly Adventures                                                            


The last adventure left on a bit of a cliffhanger: Mel having betrayed The Doctor and handed over the TARDIS to president Dogbolter. So now we find out why?

President Dogbolter - to be honest I had to look up who he was as it felt as if I should know. He was in the DWM comics and also featured in the Maltese Penguin - though I must admit its been sometime since I listened it. Mel has debts which Dogbolter bought, and to clear them its going to take the TARDIS and its manual. If she doesn’t? Well it doesn’t bear thinking about.

This is very much a Mel led story with the Doctor and Ace in the background. It also includes Narvin, better known for the Gallifrey range and his inclusion here seems a bit odd, but not unwelcome. It is in the more comic book vein, slightly over the top performances, with the maniacal laughing, etc. But again I quite enjoyed it.

So the reason for the inclusion of Narvin and and explanation of the title. Dogbolter needs the TARDIS parts to create a quantum probability engine. This device can change time/events, manipulate outcomes to get the results he wants to keep control of the solar system. 

I’ve always been fan of Groundhog Day, 1201. Eve Of The Daleks I particularly liked as a result. Though Dogbolters use of the quantum probability engine, doesn’t quite do the same thing, there are a few times when instances are repeated until the right outcome is met. 

There are a couple of good cliffhangers. Ones I genuinely wondered how they were going to get out of that. As mentioned its a Mel story and the Doctor, Ace and Narvin do disappear briefly, only to return differently. 

I found it entertaining and very enjoyable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Days of the Powell Estate The Ninth Doctor Adventures 4.2 The Doctor and Rose find themselves in the future, 2036 , to be exact. Though, when Rose discovers that the run down, derelict building they’ve arrived at is what left of the Powell estate , she starts to worry about her mother… It feels like quite a wait since the last episode. I’m not one for binge listening, but with Chris and Billie back together, you just want more. They meet a guy doing a video about strange places who tells the Doctor and Rose about an entity dubbed ‘ Mr Fingers ’. People feel a hand on their shoulder but when they turn round no ones there, feel it twice and you’re gone. The idea would make quite a nice horror film. It has the ingredients, the empty building, the sense of something unreal, people disappearing. The fact that once there felt the hand, if they turn around next time, they’re a goner.  The entity exists both in Roses time and the future, so we get Jackie and her friend in 2006...
 The Three Companions I had intended to listen to Sirens of Time Redux after Once and Future Coda, however as it still hadn’t been released I went for the next audio on my list The Companion Chronicles: The Three Companions. This originally came out as 10 minutes parts, tacked onto the Monthly range, in 20009/10. The three companions being Polly, the Brigadier and Thomas Brewster, and consists of three, 40 minute episodes. Polly writes to the Brig, wanting to find out about the Doctor, having read an article by Mrs Jo Jones that mentions him, and tells a story of when she knew the Doctor. The thing that got me into the Companion Chronicles was the Mahogany Murder’s, I had tried them before and hadn’t taken to the the narration style. With the Mahogany Murder’s, it was Jago and Litefoot meeting and each recounting their recent events. This takes a similar approach. Though they are writing/emailing to each other there are interjections, comments from the other, which is a little odd,...
The Lumiat                                         Missy 2.1                          Missy, up to her old tricks of stirring up the red and the black ants. Only this time its people. All going well (or bad depending on your viewpoint) until a timelady appears, it has to be the Doctor doesn’t it? Who else could it be? I listened to this twice - a couple of months apart. The first time I felt it was OK, but seeing the reviews and it having been rated quite highly, I thought perhaps I’d missed something. The Lumiat: she’s has been in a couple of other audios (Masterful and Timelord Immemorial)  - both of which I’ve heard but in the wrong order. Gina Mckee pays the Lumiat, for me always remembered for being on the Lenny Henry show. I don't really remember much about her from those audios though. With the Lumiat showing up ...