Skip to main content

Dumb Waiter                                


Doctor Who: The Companion Chronicles 12.2/The Second Doctor 2.2                   


With Mother Earth apparently over and done with, the ISPF have their hands full. On one hand Devis investigates coffins that don’t seem to house people that actually existed. While Nathan and Kenzy pay a visit to the only residential building on the moon where a burglar has died…

With Priya if off on a course and Paul taking a little bit of a back seat, it does put the original Star Cops members to the front. It is nice to have Kenzy back and this time a proper star cop again. 

This starts with a scene from toward the end of the episode, and your given the events that led up to it. Devis’s case is somewhat straightforward, if the people who are supposed to be in the coffins didn’t really exist then there’s only one way to find out what is in them... Nathan and Kenzys case; well a man on his own and could have seen the body from his window, but who was the burglar and why was he doing it?

Kenny is offered a job in this , so for a brief time it seemed that as soon as we got her back she’d be going again. Luckily for us the opportunity didn’t last long.

There are some moments of real tension, particularly near the end - I mean almost edge of your seat stuff. I thought for a moment that it might be a two parter - a lot of build up, but then its quickly all over, which is perhaps my only complaint.

A nice episode.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Days of the Powell Estate The Ninth Doctor Adventures 4.2 The Doctor and Rose find themselves in the future, 2036 , to be exact. Though, when Rose discovers that the run down, derelict building they’ve arrived at is what left of the Powell estate , she starts to worry about her mother… It feels like quite a wait since the last episode. I’m not one for binge listening, but with Chris and Billie back together, you just want more. They meet a guy doing a video about strange places who tells the Doctor and Rose about an entity dubbed ‘ Mr Fingers ’. People feel a hand on their shoulder but when they turn round no ones there, feel it twice and you’re gone. The idea would make quite a nice horror film. It has the ingredients, the empty building, the sense of something unreal, people disappearing. The fact that once there felt the hand, if they turn around next time, they’re a goner.  The entity exists both in Roses time and the future, so we get Jackie and her friend in 2006...
 The Three Companions I had intended to listen to Sirens of Time Redux after Once and Future Coda, however as it still hadn’t been released I went for the next audio on my list The Companion Chronicles: The Three Companions. This originally came out as 10 minutes parts, tacked onto the Monthly range, in 20009/10. The three companions being Polly, the Brigadier and Thomas Brewster, and consists of three, 40 minute episodes. Polly writes to the Brig, wanting to find out about the Doctor, having read an article by Mrs Jo Jones that mentions him, and tells a story of when she knew the Doctor. The thing that got me into the Companion Chronicles was the Mahogany Murder’s, I had tried them before and hadn’t taken to the the narration style. With the Mahogany Murder’s, it was Jago and Litefoot meeting and each recounting their recent events. This takes a similar approach. Though they are writing/emailing to each other there are interjections, comments from the other, which is a little odd,...
The Lumiat                                         Missy 2.1                          Missy, up to her old tricks of stirring up the red and the black ants. Only this time its people. All going well (or bad depending on your viewpoint) until a timelady appears, it has to be the Doctor doesn’t it? Who else could it be? I listened to this twice - a couple of months apart. The first time I felt it was OK, but seeing the reviews and it having been rated quite highly, I thought perhaps I’d missed something. The Lumiat: she’s has been in a couple of other audios (Masterful and Timelord Immemorial)  - both of which I’ve heard but in the wrong order. Gina Mckee pays the Lumiat, for me always remembered for being on the Lenny Henry show. I don't really remember much about her from those audios though. With the Lumiat showing up ...