Skip to main content

Sea Smoke                   


Halloween: Sea Smoke and other stories 1.1                       


The Doctor and Dodo arrive on an island off Scotland a little before Dodo’s time, Kelp burning is the least of their worries.


This is my first proper full first Doctor story with Stephen Noonan as the Doctor, and though there are hints of William Hartnell, I’m not getting a ‘first Doctor’ vibe. :Likewise with Lauren Cornelius as Dodo, I find her soo far removed from Dodo that she may as well be a new companion. Most of the recasts I’ve heard there is some trace of the character there, here I’m struggling.


As for the story, its a great setting -  a Scottish island, 19th century, perfect for something scary, yet I wasn’t scared at all. This is Doctor who and there are limits. There is some fun stuff - the Doctor and Dodo suggesting they’re Swedish, and nice touches as when Dodo learns that Flora can’t read.


To be honest I don’t know whether I was distracted by trying to find the characters I knew, or trying to reconcile the style with the episodes of the first Doctor I seen so many times and not quite achieving that. Even the War Doctor I was listening to before this I wasn’t getting into, so maybe I’m a bit audio weary. In fact both audios I had to go back and re listen.


This seems have had good reviews, and I should probably give it another go, but for me for now its OK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...