Skip to main content

The Gulf                  


The Third Doctor Adventures                                                              


In this adventure The Doctor and Sarah arrive on a rig on a sea world. 


This starts off as the old trope of a couple breaking down in the middle of nowhere and finding refuge in a large house, where they are welcomed and have diner, only to find things are not quite as they seem. The Doctor and Sarah being the couple, as as soon as they land a bridge collapses leaving them stranded. 


Its a straight forward start, which I liked. Sometimes you’re given too much, or no context and with audio, its not always easy to pick up the various elements, so it was a nice lead into the story.


The rest of the audio plays out as a base under siege story - an entity in the water attacking the few people who reside in the rig. There are some nice details, the inhabitants are a small number artists. As the rig was decommissioned, it would have to be dismantled so allowing an artists’ retreat is a way of avoiding the cost. Not only that but the back stories of the characters are fleshed out more than perhaps we’re used to, and its makes for a more involved adventure. 


I’ve enjoyed films like the Abyss and Waterworld and this has that kind off feeling to it.




Its my first time hearing Sadie Miller as Sarah. I found that, along with Micheal Troughton and Daisy Ashford; there are times where it could actually be them. Sometimes its a little hard to get the feeling of the character, but It is the next best thing. With Tim Treloar playing the Third, I’ve almost forgotton, as I’ve heard quite a few of his audios now.


I’m going make a comment about the music. It is very reminiscent of the mid 3rd Doctor era. It’s been a while since I watched the last series with Sarah, and can’t remember how the music was then.


I’m sure at one point the Doctor was quoting from the Jon Pertwee song ‘I am the Doctor’, though I’d have to go back to check to be certain.


This is quite a good entry into the third doctor range, and pretty much ticks all the boxes. It retains the 3rd Doctors beliefs, and values. And I’d like to hear more with Sarah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...