Skip to main content


The English Way of Death                          


Doctor Who: The Novel Adaptations                                         

The Doctor plans to return some library books. People from the future are using a time corridor to live in the past. And a gaseous alien called Zodaal, is using the body of the son of a biscuit manufacturer to bring himself back into existence.

Its the fourth time I’ve tried to listen to this, having found that I’m not really following it. There’s at least 4 different plots,  Percy Closed - one of the people from the future, Mr Stackhouse - the biscuit maker, The Doctor, and then Romana. Each one doing there own thing. I’ve listened to audios before where I’ve had the same issue. As you start to get into the current plot line, it changes, and suddenly you’re trying to remember what this one was about, and by the time you’ve remembered you’ve missed stuff. What doesn’t help, certainly at the start, is that you don’t know what going on, so you’re tying keep retain a lot of information that’s not yet clear.

It does start to come together, but takes its time. Romana goes off with some bloke, a stranger who offers to take her miles out of his way - which I couldn’t help feeling was a little worrying. The Doctor decides to play bridge, and again I feel he’s got more important things to do. There’s a nice scene wherein K9 cross-references literature from the time period so that he’ll be understood.

Half way through part 3 I’d lost interest. I had picked up from where I’d left it the previous day and found I just wasn’t invested in the story. Some of what had happened felt very fillerish, and I didn’t care for what the outcome would be.

Having listed to a few novel adaptations I feel they work better in their original medium.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...