Skip to main content

The Murder of Oliver Akkron


Doctor Who: The Eleven part 2



The Eleven has been invited by Oliver Akkron to a meeting. Oliver is the president of Molaruss.


It begins with (and is mostly)  a lengthly conversation between the Eleven and Oliver. Its over 20 minutes before there’s any break, so you really need to take notice. 


Its a slightly meandering piece at first and without context you’re wondering what’s it all about and where its heading. There is mention of mono and duo minds, which is the case of Oliver and ties into the situation of the Eleven.


After a while it starts cutting to to medi techs who are dealing with parasitic worms that are infesting the world, and their experiments in coping with them. As with the conversation with the Eleven and Oliver you do wonder how it's connected.


This doesn’t feature the Doctor or Constance, in a similar vein to Love and Monsters: the first time I saw it I wasn’t that impressed (It has grown on me since). Where was the Doctor? After all its is Doctor Who. 


I struggled with this the first time I listened. As I’ve mentioned it takes most of the audio for things to fall into place and build up a picture of what’s going on. And I do tend to ignore stuff until I know why’s its there. Its been a couple of months since I heard the first part of this set and, having not really taken in this episode, I needed to give it another go before continuing. I paid much more attention this time round and got more out of it, and I do think knowing the Doctor’s not going to turn up helps.


Things get a little complicated at the end, and unusually for me I couldn’t wait to finish it, I was really interested in how its ended.


So from not really liking it first time I’ve really enjoyed a second listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...