Skip to main content

The Doctor’s Gambit


Doctor Who Short Trips: A Feast Of Steven


The Doctor, Steven and Dodo find themselves on a planet where the locals seem to be chosen to pass through an invisible barrier to participate in games…


I could tell from the off that this wasn’t going to be as interesting as the first in this set. Just something about it. Whether I was a little distracted or just not paying attention, it seemed that the TARDIS team landed, saw people trying to get through the barrier and joined in. Its all a bit up in the air, as, along with the characters, you’ve no real idea what its all about. And the Doctor is absent too.  If you’ve wahcthed the last episode of the Celestial Toymaker and have no knowledge of the previous epodes then I supped this is akin to that.


On the positive side: Dodo. I am struggling to remember if I’ve heard a audio featuring her. I’ve not delved into the short trips much, or Steven Noonan’s version, and I do have an early adventures I’ve yet to listen to. So for me at least, it was nice to have here here, and in a more prominent role that you’d expect for a Steven led adventure. Peter Purves does get some of her accent, which too, is brings the character to life.


There is mention of the woman Harla That Steven met in the first episode of this release, tying the two stories together, though is comes to nothing. 


To be honest its performed well, but even after finishing it only a couple of hours ago I’m finding it hard to remember that much about it. I think that given little information about their circumstances its hard to create a mental picture of the story, but if they had then it would have spoilt the ending somewhat.


It is all resolved quite nicely and I do feel that another listen would harp to enjoy the story more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...