Skip to main content

Time Lord Victorious


Audio series 1.1


He Kills me He kills me not


On a remote alien planet, a couple are trying to escape from a father who is not happy about the marriage. Brian the Ood has been sent to get them, or rather one, of them back.

I’ve been wanting this for a while, even though I didn’t really know anything about it. All the Time Lord Victorious stuff passed me by. Like the more recent Doomsday multi media story; to be honest I’d rather something more self contained and accessible - but that’s just me. I gather you don’t need all the various elements to enjoy it though (however I will say, that to get the most out of the audios, you need to read the two novels).

The Doctor is out to see one the the wonders of the universe but what he finds is far from what should be. This aspect of the plot doesn’t get resolve here, its something that carries on the the next adventure, so its just sowing the seeds. The setting itself is something akin to a town in the wild west. We know this because of the American accents: Why the accents? I’ve no idea, its an alien planet, and it didn’t really make sense. All it achieved is to confuse things - its possible its part of the things not being right theme (it isn't).

I’m not familar with Brian the Ood, but he didn’t come across as an Ood, at least not judging by the ones encountered in the TV series and I kept forgetting that that’s what he was. Apart form a few mentions of the hindbrain it could have been anyone.

As for the plot, its much of a run around, really its just your standard Doctor Who story. There’s nothing particularly oustanding, unique about or different about it.

Overall I was somewhat unimpressed by this. I had expected something more epic, grander, but it felt more run of the mill. I’m not entirely blaming the story, I had listened to the start but when I came back to carry on I just wasn’t taking it in and had to go and re listen. So it is an audio that I need to give a proper go to another time.

Its Ok, an underwhelming start to the series - though even saying that I’m not entirely sure where to start. Aside from all the other media there were two Big Finish short trips that came before this. (In retrospect, and taking in as much of the TLV as I could, it isn't necessarily the best place to start. I suspect my opinion would change a little, knowing how it fits in in the bigger series).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...