Skip to main content

The Ninth Doctor Adventures


Hidden Depts 1.2 Lay Down Your Arms


‘She couldn’t drown a biscuit in a cup of tea”


A light hearted historical.


Earth 1864, and The Doctor is giving singing lessons?


I listened to half of this before I went to back to start again. Historicals aren’t my favourite, but this seemed to be one where though stuff has taken place you’re still wondering what the plot is.


Its Europe, and aliens are using salts to beef up the anger in Humans in order top make them fight. I wasn’t engaged in it, its fairly standard plot, Vampires of Venice springs to mind. The aliens are a bit wishy washy and not fleshed out. 


This features Bertha Von Stuttner, who won a Nobel Peace prize - to be honest I didn’t know who she was, so at least it taught me something. I think that fact that is more about her than the threat accounts for the flimsy alien plot line. So maybe its more akin to The Unquiet Dead, and maybe if I’d have know this I would have appreciated it more.


There are a number of continuity references - Judoon, the Shadow Proclamation.


It does pick up in the second half, but the end is a little down out. Again I feel if I was more invested in Bertha it would have been more satisfying. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...