Skip to main content

The Companion Chronicles


1.1 Frostfire


When the Companion Chronicles were first announced I preordered and was really looking forward to it. However when it came I listened to the first few minutes, turned it off and that was it. A narrated story wasn’t something I enjoyed. It wasn’t until I came to the Jago and Litefoot series, and their first series continuing from The Companion Chronicles ‘pilot’ they did that I gave that episode a go and rather enjoyed it. I asked for recomendations and pretty much started buying them up. So now I thought I’d go back to the beginning and see if my opinion had changed.


Vicky or Lady Cressida, now married with children, living in Earths past, writes down a story of when she was with the Doctor. She tells this story to something that lives beneath the city, an entity that only Vicky knows and who knows of the Doctor.


The story she narrates is from when she, The Doctor and Steven arrived in London, in the 1800’s - the Thames frozen over and the frost fair and when they encountered a phoenix egg.


Unfortunately this audio did as little for me this time as when I first attempted it. I thought that having got used to the medium my outlook would have changed, it has but only slightly.  It is a mostly narrated piece and as the first in the range it has yet to benefit from experience.


Maureen O’Brian is great as Vicky and I can’t fault her performance. The other actor in this plays the entity she tells the story to, so a somewhat limited role. But that was the bit I was more interested in. 


It just didn’t engage me, the setting is great, its a nice period. There’s the inclusion of Jane Austin, which seemed pointless as nothing of value was gained form her part in it. But I was never eager to learn more, I wasn’t gripped and I didn’t care what happened and glad when it was over so I could stop listening to it.


This seems to be a love it or hate it thing. I can see why it put me off the range, it isn’t the best story and personally I wasn’t interested in the tale it was telling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...