Skip to main content

Missy Series 1


Part 3: The Broken Clock


The adventure continues. In this episode the listener finds themselves hearing a US crime documentary. Impossible murders where the victim, recently killed has been dead for months?


Its does take over fifteen minutes for Missy to enter the story and at first I wasn’t getting into it. I do feel that British should stick to British and US to US, as I’m never really sure if its offensive or not. I know I cringe at US Tv programs with British accents, interestingly enough it does come into play in this.


So as you can imagine it does that docudrama thing of narrating and reenacting the events of the crime. And it is when Missy eventually turns up when the lines between fiction and reality start to blur. Suddenly we’re not sure if the actors recreating the events are actors, since they can hear the narrator and can’t see any cameras. There’s also the added meta of Missy’s interjections that play with Tv tropes.


It does hold your attention, the mystery of whats actually going on, the intrigue of mentions of other characters. I ended up thoroughly enjoying it, it felt longer than an hour, and another listen is in order to fully appreciate it.


Recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Days of the Powell Estate The Ninth Doctor Adventures 4.2 The Doctor and Rose find themselves in the future, 2036 , to be exact. Though, when Rose discovers that the run down, derelict building they’ve arrived at is what left of the Powell estate , she starts to worry about her mother… It feels like quite a wait since the last episode. I’m not one for binge listening, but with Chris and Billie back together, you just want more. They meet a guy doing a video about strange places who tells the Doctor and Rose about an entity dubbed ‘ Mr Fingers ’. People feel a hand on their shoulder but when they turn round no ones there, feel it twice and you’re gone. The idea would make quite a nice horror film. It has the ingredients, the empty building, the sense of something unreal, people disappearing. The fact that once there felt the hand, if they turn around next time, they’re a goner.  The entity exists both in Roses time and the future, so we get Jackie and her friend in 2006...
 The Three Companions I had intended to listen to Sirens of Time Redux after Once and Future Coda, however as it still hadn’t been released I went for the next audio on my list The Companion Chronicles: The Three Companions. This originally came out as 10 minutes parts, tacked onto the Monthly range, in 20009/10. The three companions being Polly, the Brigadier and Thomas Brewster, and consists of three, 40 minute episodes. Polly writes to the Brig, wanting to find out about the Doctor, having read an article by Mrs Jo Jones that mentions him, and tells a story of when she knew the Doctor. The thing that got me into the Companion Chronicles was the Mahogany Murder’s, I had tried them before and hadn’t taken to the the narration style. With the Mahogany Murder’s, it was Jago and Litefoot meeting and each recounting their recent events. This takes a similar approach. Though they are writing/emailing to each other there are interjections, comments from the other, which is a little odd,...
The Lumiat                                         Missy 2.1                          Missy, up to her old tricks of stirring up the red and the black ants. Only this time its people. All going well (or bad depending on your viewpoint) until a timelady appears, it has to be the Doctor doesn’t it? Who else could it be? I listened to this twice - a couple of months apart. The first time I felt it was OK, but seeing the reviews and it having been rated quite highly, I thought perhaps I’d missed something. The Lumiat: she’s has been in a couple of other audios (Masterful and Timelord Immemorial)  - both of which I’ve heard but in the wrong order. Gina Mckee pays the Lumiat, for me always remembered for being on the Lenny Henry show. I don't really remember much about her from those audios though. With the Lumiat showing up ...