Skip to main content

Timeslip the Age Of The Death Lottery

I’ve only watched the TV series once a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it. As with Sapphire and Steel the first story was a little slow but got better as they went along.

The first episode of this was a free download, and though I listened to it twice at different times I didn’t remember much about it, which usually isn’t a good sign.

This audio is presented in 6x30 minute episodes and the original stars have returned - Spencer Banks and Cheryl Burfield. They’re much older now (its over 50 years!) so their voices don’t imeadiatley stand out as to who they are.

Simon and Liz are not as close as they were, this begins with Liz not answering his calls. The population crisis is at the forefront of things, Simon himself having to head up a government body with Liz’s friend Charlotte (Played by Sarah Sutton). When two young people discover a time barrier Simon and Liz reunite. Neil and Jade are from the 1980’s who find themselves in 2020, together with Liz, Simon and Charlotte they end up in 2042. Its the future and the lottery decides whether you live or die.

I got a little confussed early on in episode 2 as it didn’t seem to follow on from where the last part left off and it appeared that I’d missed something (and maybe I did), though it did work out.

With the 5 characters from 2020 and another couple from 2042, also one character existing in both timezones, each meeting splitting up and meeting up again, it wasn’t always easy to follow who was who and what that person was doing. But it never really caused a problem.

By episode 4 it felt that not a huge amount had happened, and it was still just getting going, but then by the end of part 5 it s was in its stride. There were a couple of twists which I hadn’t seen comming. And moments where I wondered how they would all get out alive.

I bought this back in August 24 but haddn’t got round to hearing it, when the rest of the series went on sale just before Christmas I took the chance to get series two. I really wish I’d got 3 and 4 as well.

I really enjoyed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...