Skip to main content

The Avenues of Possibility

Part five in the Legacy Of Time release


Its present day Earth and ‘doorways’ into the past have opened up, luckily a certain DI Menzies is at hand. Not to mention The sixth Doctor and Charlie.

I tend not to read much about the audios I buy, so it was a bit of a surprise when the sixth was accompanied by Charlie. I enjoyed the storyline at the time, when Charlie left the Eighth and ended up with the sixth, but with the plot line resolved, I kind of felt that was the end of it. But I love Charlie so a nice surprise.

The first couple of release that featured DI Patricia Menzies, she was a great character, however the last one and this, her accent has softened and her humour hasn’t been a dry as it was, she seemed to have more of a laconic attitude.

I struggled with this one and I’m not sure why. It starts off seemly about one man, but when the Doctor shows up he’s there for someone else. But there’s time annominallies to investigate, so far so good but the next scene is the Doctor and Charlies being told that the man they’re looking for has disappeared, and it feels as thought you’ve missed a bit.

The Doctor is then abducted but ends up in an alternative future, and again, I’m wondering how he got there, admittedly I may well have been distracted and missed something. The issue for me is that even in going back to relisten I still had the same nagging problem.

But it has all the right ingredients, doorways to the past (and a reference to the TV program ‘Goodnight Sweetheart) , a great set of characters. Alternative futures, Charlie (once again) comming clean to the Sixth as to who she is.

It is an audio I’ll come back to as I think I ned to give it a proper go when I’m less tired maybe
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...