Skip to main content

The Sirens of Time redux

The last time I listened to the Sirens of Time was about 3 years ago when it came up as a free promo. I first bought it on tape when it came out. Not something I’ve listened to a lot though, maybe once or twice at the time.

The original release had three episodes, each episode featuring one of the The Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Doctors. With them arriving somewhere meeting someone and having an adventure, with the Timelords, and time distortions as the arc. In episode four they met up worked out what was going on.

As for this new redux, well it mixes things up a little, we start mainly with the Fifth Doctor on a ship during the world war, with some interludes from the Seventh Doctor, and the Sixth not appearing til the end of part one. Other than the fact there is something wrong with time, we’re still pretty much in the dark.

Sometimes, whether its a TV or audio, and I find I’m not taking it in I’ve  decided to start again, if I’m still having trouble I place the blame on the narrative. I got to part four of this and restarted.

It tries be another Five Doctors, the music is very reminiscent of that era. But whereas the Five Doctors took the Doctor sand Companions and placed them in the same place. This is three different stories with another over arching plot line on top. With the Fifth on a German submarine during the war, the Sixth pretending to be a delegate on some space station. The seventh? Well I never really understood what his story was about, whenever it got back to his story it didn’t seem to quite pick up from where he left off.

The fact is that it wasn’t always immediately apparent which storyline you were listening to, which one of the Doctors’ or the Timelords that the current scene was a part of. It was a bit clearer on second listening, so whether I paid attention more, or just was more familiar with it I can’t say.

There is a lot of exposition in the last part, and maybe it had been written now perhaps they would have not made it so heavy. Its nice to have the three eighties Doctors together.

At the end it goes back to the Sevenths story which felt odd, I think the original started with his story so going back it it made sense, but this started with the Fifth so less so.

Personally, if I listen to the Sirens of time again, I’ll stick to the original.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...