Skip to main content

The Mummy Speaks!


Charlotte Pollard: The Further Adventuress 1.1


This set consists of 4, 1 hour, 2 part stories.

Having got to episode four of the Sirens of Time Redux and realised that I hadn’t a clue what was going on, and being uninspired by the other audios on my current play list - maybe as its nearing Christmas - that end of term feeling - I decided a change was needed.

I went to the live show in London, the Stuff of Nightmares, the Eighth and Charley back together. And I remember how much I’d enjoyed them. When they first started they ‘were’ the new series. With the Chimes of Midnight, Neverland, Zagrus and Charley leaving, only to pair up with the Sixth and continue until Blue Forgotton Planet, where she ultimately leaves the Doctor. And even then she carried on in her own series. So she’s had quite an adventure, and I loved it all.

With this series on sale I was excited to get back to old times, and I do think I need up trudging through audios, rather than being excited about what I’m listening to.

The Doctor and Charlie arrive in Paris in the 1800’s, after accidentally insulting the natives, they take refuge in a side show where an ancient Mummy is apparently alive and talking.

It is nice to have them together again, its kind of the classic line up, there’s the Fifth and Tegan, the Sixth and Peri, the Seventh and Ace. The Eighth and Charley

The setting is great, period Paris, there is a nice bit with the where Charley tries to seek French but the TARDIS translates it into English.

A minor spoiler but Charley is nearly executed and takes it in her stride, I can’t help thinking Id’ be a bit for fearful.

Also included are references to other stories such as Ramsey the Vortisaur, and it does make me wonder where this is placed with in the timeline.

I wasn’t entirely sure about the  shorter stories but in all fairness I’m finding the 4 parts a bit of a slog these days. But I also believe in letting the story take the time it needs, and this worked well.

Its not the most gripping adventure, but enjoyable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...