Skip to main content

 The Final Act                                  


Doctor Who: Once and Future: Coda                                                                

A year after ther Once and Future series ended, we have the last part. The Fugitive and War Doctors' are pitted against each other.

It took me a few minutes before I realised I was listening to the War Doctor, I had wondered if it was susposed to be the first Doctor. I Have yet to listen to the War Doctor begins so this was my first time in hearing Jonathon Carley as the early War Doctor, and he's not bad. Jo Martin reprises her role as the Fugitive Doctor.

The Fugitive of the Judoon episode was the first time in Jodie Whittakers era I sat up and took notice; something interesting was happening. Although, for me, the Timeless Child storyline isn't something I care for. But I am interested in where the character goes, however saying 'Yadda,Yadda,Yadda' was a bit of a turn off. It does raise some issues, the fact the Fugitive Doctor (and others) have been travelling around as the Doctor meeting people making friends, then how come the later Doctors' never met someone who knew them before? Maybe there's a plot point I've missed that covers this. (maybe as Steven Moffat did with the Eleveth Doctor and wiped all knowledge of the Doctor).

Bernice Summerfield features aswell, and is trying to make sense of the two Doctors.

Its a reasonable story, with the two versions of the Doctor both unknowing of who they're actually dealing with you do wonder what will happen if the one wipes out the other. As with other multi Doctor stories there are some of the usual tropes. 

The War Doctor, never quite met the expectations in audio, for me anyway. I had wanted a much darker anti hero type, but Big Finish are limited to a family audience, and what the TV series can allow. With the Fugitive Doctor I fear similar restrictions will apply, and she'll be 'just another Doctor' as with the War version.

I'm not sure of what this adds to the Once and Future series, but it was enjoyable.

 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63831452-doctor-who

https://thetimescales.com/Story/story.php?audioid=12954

https://tardis.guide/story/coda-the-final-act/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Founding Fathers                                                       The Companion Chronicles  The First Doctor 1.3                                         Steven’s grand daughter takes him to visit the Doctor, yet its not the actual Doctor. There they tell a story of an adventure they once had where they met Benjamin Franklin. So perhaps a little more unusual, in that what’s happening with the current Steven is as, if not more interesting, as the story that’s being narrated. The narrated story tells of the TARDIS arriving in Leicester in 1762. With it being quite warm, the Doctor takes off his coat and throws to back into the TARDIS inadvertently locking the crew out. Getting back in is a little tricky and the only man that can help is Benjamin...
Power Game  Doctor Who the Monthly Range 248b Kamelion has been missing for three weeks, its York, the 1980’s and that’s just the beginning. This hits the ground running, but not only has Kamelion gone but now they’ve lost Tegan as well. Tegan herself finds she’s on a TV gameshow, how she got there is a bit of a mystery as she no idea how shearrived. The show pops up at various times on different channels in the middle of other programs. It’s a good start, no faffing about and with this a two parter that’s probably a good idea. The Tv show gives contestants challenges, when they fail they’re out, interestingly enough there are no prizes, and the contestants soon forget about their real lives.  It’ll be no surprise that the gameshow isn’t real and is a veneer for what’s really going on. We’ve had stories such as this before so you know what the deal is and you’re waiting for the big reveal. The Doctor and Turlough happen to find someone else who was taken by the game, and set t...
The Quest of the Engineer                                     The Fourth Doctor Adventures 9.4                                               On a planet that reconfigures it surface, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are seeking info on a CVE. They encounter the ‘Engineer’ who is also interested in CVE’s, though there is more to him and the planet than at first seems. I had to check that I had started with part one, as it begins with Adic having been arrested for taking K9 though the streets where technology is forbidden. They meet Rigis Tel played by George Layton (perhaps more noted in DW circles as being the Space pirates) and go on to find the truth about the planet. As for the plot… Well it is tempting to say what plot. The planet is… mild spoiler… a giant space ship. Being a Hitch...